Thursday, March 6, 2014

Clear Planning

I am a planner!  I am one of those people who likes surprises but not the kind that come with a vacation.  You know like losing your luggage, your wallet or forgetting to bring along the information about where you are staying or where it is at!  One reason is actually laughable...I am that person that would forget their head if it were not attached...It's a joke in my household that I either forget my wallet or my cell phone... You get the picture... I know I am not the only one out there, so I am going to share a few of the items that really will help your life and your vacations go smoother!  Trust me; there is help for a vacation with no surprises.  

First let's address that wallet/phone issue.  I am not a purse carrier.  I see no reason to; especially when traveling. Purses will be addressed here but I honestly think I have an even better idea!  For me there are times when I just want my phone, id and a credit card.  I received a gift a few Christmas's back that initially I thought silly.  That gift the Card Nija has become my best friend.  There are many other card holders that will stick on the back of your phone and perhaps do the same things; but this one really works.  It doesn't interfere with your phone or its functions.  It will hold as many cards as you need, money too, and you only have one thing to worry about!  

Don't worry, they come off easily with a good pull but won't come off if filled too full or caught on a pocket.  This little item has been a life saver for me!  

Traveling today is all about safety.  We will be traveling to Italy soon and have heard all the warnings about pick pockets, luggage snatchers, or back pack thieves.  A little preparedness is all at your fingertips; it simply takes a little forethought. In our case, we are traveling with carry-on luggage only! I know that in today's travel circles ~ luggage with wheels is the only way to go.  We don't roll that way ~ The past few years we have been traveling with only a back pack.  Mind you we have carried enough clothes for a ten day stay in the Dominican Republic, a week at a time in Mexico and planning on twenty plus days in Italy!  We travel with a back pack  ~ think "Amazing Race" style. Wheels can really slow you down when running to catch a flight that is two terminals away and you only have twenty minutes! Rolling bags are much easier to steal as they can easily be grabbed right out our your hand.  Finally, have you ever attempted eight flights of crowed stairs with a wheeled case? Clunky, heavy and annoying ~ much easier with a well balanced pack on your back ~ just add the weight you feel comfortable in carrying!  We love the versatility and capacity of our Porter 46 by Osprey.
Amazing how much fits into this pack!  The straps are comfortable and can be tucked inside and then carried as a case.  It cinches and expands, is durable but most important; it is the EXACT size for carry on!  All  Osprey products are waterproof and have a life time warranty!  They stick by their products AND they are staffed at their 800 number with REAL people.  A strap holder broke on one of our packs.  Nothing that would have really bothered the function of the pack but none the less I was curious to see if they really stood by their warranty.  A real person answered the phone and a real person took my information and the piece is on its way!  I even learned they are releasing a new model of the Porter 46 in August that will have, the same roomy carry on legal dimensions, better internal pockets for computers, iPads and phones along with even more safety features against theft!!  There is an Osprey back for everyone; even ones WITH wheels!

Always lock your luggage!  Use TSA approved locks to avoid hassles with the screeners just in case they think they see something!  They have the special tool to open the lock, quickly look inside and let you go happily on your way!  Any time your lock is opened without your special combination, whether it be by TSA or thief, you will know because the lock shows red!  These can be found many places, PacSafe, Magellan's and TravelSmith to name a few!

Once at our destination our pack is left in the hotel room and we are off to see sights! Many women would carry a purse in these situations...I choose to carry a smaller pack. Easy to sling over the shoulder along with my carry on.           
The best thing about this is they virtually can not be compromised.  The straps have metal cording through them so they can not be cut.  The bag itself has a mesh to stop slashing...NO, they are not heavy!  The cool technology makes them safe and lightweight! Zippers are hidden and can not be opened with one hand.  The inside pocked is RFID lined.  This will stop anyone from hacking into your computer or smart phone if you are carrying it AND not allow hackers to steal your credit card information from hot spots that are popping up all over the world surprising unsuspecting travelers! When at a restaurant or train the straps have special locks that can be undone and then attached to a chair or seat. This type of pack will carry me through my sight seeing needs, holding my camera, jacket, water bottle and papers with room for souvenirs! PacSafe has something for everyone to keep their personal items safe and out the hands of thugs.  So whether it be a purse or day pack, order before your next trip! 

Another PacSafe necessity is a cut proof camera strap.  I know I have a day pack big enough to hold my camera but if you are like me, it's on your shoulder waiting to take the next picture!  I shudder to think what I would do if someone slashed and ran with my "baby"!  I have been a photographer for over thirty years and feel pretty secure about how guarded I hold my camera when walking around sight seeing...but if someone were to slice my strap; would I be able to continue that grip if they took off running with it? Thus the purchase of this strap and the thought that $30.00 may not only give me peace of mind but keep my camera out of the hands of someone else!     


Now keeping my money safe is another matter!  We had batted around all types of scenarios about what we bring in the way of cash, credit cards and cash cards in foreign countries.  So many cards charge outlandish fees for foreign transactions.  Getting cash with your bank card usually means high transactions fees...and one can't carry around enough cash for vacations over a few days long!  So the homework began!  Don't just guess; really check into your card and bank fees because they can add up to hundreds, even thousands of dollars over time! One of us has a Capitol One credit card that has no foreign fees!  The other...Chase's Mileage Plus Explorer card offers no foreign transaction fees.  Both have low interest and seemingly good customer service.  Alert your card of your travels, giving them specifics and dates to eliminate any fraud!  As far as cash goes, it's a little more difficult.  Most banks just don't offer check cards that can be used in foreign countries without fees.  That said, I found that Capitol One does! The Capitol One 360  offers you everything you will need!  It is a strictly online bank card that allows you to add and transfer funds online or with your smart phone.  It can be used anywhere in the world that has a cash machine, it carries the Master Card logo and there are NO fees, hidden or otherwise!!  Again, make certain you give them the heads up to your foreign travel and you are perfectly travel safe!  

There's always the basics in safe travel...








  • Make two photocopies of all your travel documents in case of emergency or if your documents are lost or stolen. Leave one copy with a friend or relative at home. It is always a great idea to let at least one person know exactly where you will be staying and how to contact you in an emergency. Carry the other copy with you stored separately from the originals. Documents to make copies of include:
    • Passport ID page
    • Foreign visa (if applicable)
    • Itinerary
    • Hotel confirmation
    • Airline ticket
    • Driver's license
    • Credit cards brought on the trip
    • Traveler's check serial numbers 
    • If you are traveling abroad, add your trip and information to Smart Traveler Enrollment. One never knows what could go wrong and it's best to be prepared!  

      Do a little homework...know where you're going and what you should be prepared for.  Whether it be Trip Advisor Forum, online blogs or articles, travel magazines or Rick Steves, get familiar with your destination before you get there and find surprises you were not expecting!  

      The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
      Saint Augustine

        

      1 comment:

      1. Nice post and i really enjoyed reading it and even cardninja is very useful to carry while you travel. Thanks for sharing and you can also check mens rfid wallets uk and slim briefcase mens

        ReplyDelete